Monday, December 17, 2012

Design Wall Monday

     I am in a bit of a hurry today, I took on a Christmas temp job and it is turning out to be way more hours than I thought it was going to be. I am grateful for the work, but I am only barely staying up to date on other things I am trying to accomplish. Such as getting Christmas presents out in the mail, and blog posts...

     Anyway, I have been working on this quilt on and off since this February. It all started with this fabric that was given to me for a birthday gift by a dear friend years ago.


        I didn't really want to cut it into small pieces, so I just cut the yard I was given into 4 equal panels, and sewed some borders around them.



I am going to lay the blocks out like this.
















     I have long thought that the paintings of Gustave Klimt would be great source material for making quilts because of his use of patterning. This painting is one I had been looking at, thinking that I could use some of the elements in a quilt.

     So, I thought it would be fun to incorporate some of these design element with the large blocks of this quilt. Forgive me if you have read this explanation before, but I first discussed this when this blog was less than a month old, and I had about 30 page views, so I'm guessing this won't be a problem for many of you.

  












     This is a drawing of the layout I am planning.



     Many steps later (If you are interested in seeing more of the steps look up my bird cages quilt labels) this is where I am with this quilt. I have really enjoyed including a wide range of fabrics in this quilt. There are everything from Kaffe Fassett, to batiks to traditional paisleys and such.
 
   
     My quandary is this: My original plan was to put rectangles in opposing quadrants, and equilateral triangles in the other opposing quadrants. The alternate option is to do the rectangles in all 4 quadrants. Here is a photo of what it looks like with rectangles in the top 2 quadrants.

     What do you think? Is my original plan too confusing? I am going to have to think about this awhile. While I do, go see all of the other pretties in progress at Patchwork Times' Design Wall Monday!

   And as always, thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. I love the triangles but they are such work! This is a lovely quilt and I think you will have a treasure when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating quilt! Just beautiful!

    Perhaps rectangles and triangles in opposing diagonal corners, rather than right next to each other?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the all rectangle idea. When I looked back at the photo with triangles my eyes had no place to rest. The all rectangle one seems to bring my eyes to the focus fabric. Love the idea of using Klimt for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an interesting quilt to be working on. And all the fabrics you have are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it so far. I don't know that I am capable of making triangles, so I vote for rectangles LOL -

    ReplyDelete