Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Summer Sewing

There has been plenty of sewing going on in my world!

Here are my top 3 current sewing projects.

My main project this summer has been a custom order quilt. My customer saw my Arabesque quilt, and liked it, and wanted something as similar as possible, but larger, and with diagonal lines only, instead of the central diamond motif,

This is the Arabesque quilt, which is really only a large lap sized quilt.


I am about finished with the center. We just have to find a border she likes. Also, the fabric for the back is back ordered.


 Next, this is a quilt I started working on at a retreat last February. I had fun playing with pink/red colors. I now have all the blocks finished, and laid out. I thought it would be kinda interesting to have the horizontal sashing be a different stripe then the vertical sashing. Full disclosure: I got the idea because I couldn't figure out how to get the stripes to go the direction I wanted them to on the EQ drawing, so I ended up using 2 different stripes on the drawing. Then I decided that I liked that! I am sewing the blocks  together, and contemplating how simple or complex to make the border. I am looking forward to clearing this design wall, so I can start arranging the blocks for this next quilt.




This is a quilt I have been working on for over a year. It has been a good portable project and leader-ender project, because the blocks are small and simple, but there are many of them! I wanted to make a quilt that referenced the colors in this painting by Vincent Van Gogh.


I have nearly 100 blocks completely done.


Most of the 500 blocks in this quilt are sitting on the sewing table awaiting the addition of their last 2 triangles.


Some have all of their pieces sewn, and are awaiting their final pressing and trimming. 

Another reason I started this quilt is because when I made the economy blocks for my Missing Monkeys quilt a few years ago, they looked so pretty together on the design wall, that I have always wanted to make a quilt using all economy blocks. It will be interesting to see if I like them when I see them up on the wall. Here is a photo of the economy blocks from my Missing Monkeys quilt.


 Here is a photo of them in the quilt.



 I am tickled to say that this quilt found a new home in the Mebl furniture showroom in Manhattan NY this summer. I was sorry to see it go, as it has always been one of my favorites, but glad that someone else really liked it, and looking forward to making another quilt that will illustrate the same concepts that this one did, namely, pulling your colors from a focus fabric, building around fussy cut panels, and using forms from a beautiful piece of artwork. I got the geometric forms from the Cartoon for the frieze in Stoclet Palace by Gustave Klimt. Here is a photo of that piece:


 so, that is what I have been up to this summer. I hope yours is going well also. Thanks for Stopping by!

I will link with  Moving it Forward Monday
                       Design Wall Monday
                       Oh Scrap!
                        

4 comments:

  1. Every project you shared is beautiful! I really like the red one. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting! And for your kind words about my quilt projects.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Lots of beautiful quilts. I like the diagonal one for the customer, and I love the pink/red quilt. Thanks for sharing with Design Wall Monday, it's fun to see what others are working on. You knocked my socks off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy. I am really enjoying working on them.

      Delete