Monday, August 13, 2018

Moving Right Along


     It has been so hot and wet around here, all I want to do is hide in the house, and sew, of course. 

     I worked on joining the blocks for my red Sonja's Windows quilt. All I have let to do is add the last border, make the back, and this one is ready to go to the quilter. 😊
 

     Since I planned this quilt, I added the narrow, solid red sashing, and an additional row of sashing and stepping stone around the outside of the center. Suddenly, my quilt was 8" larger in both directions than originally planned. This might have been fine, even beneficial for a quilt that was going to live on a bed at home, but I made this quilt to add to my trunk show, and to bring to my Sonja's Windows classes, so I was trying to keep the size down to a full. I made the somewhat painful decision to pull off a column and a row of blocks.  OUCH! But, the pain is behind me now. 

     I will save adding the last border and making the back until I get home from presenting a program to The Sea Island Quilters in Beaufort, South Carolina, and The All Star Quilter's Guild in Jacksonville, Florida, later this month. In between SC and FL, I will teach a Let's Polka workshop for The Chatahoochee Evening Star Quilters in Alpharetta GA.

     In the mean time I am working on getting the sewing finished on as many of my economy blocks as possible, so I can press them and trim them while traveling.


      I am also trying to add a couple of rows to this quilt everyday. This is an A Maze Zing quilt to replace one I sold earlier in the year. I want the colors in this quilt to remind you of the sunset. I want this quilt to get to 75" long or so. Right now it's at 63", so I have only 4 rows to go.

       One more thing. I wanted to share the amazing pincushions 2 of my extremely talented friends made for my birthday last week. 



      Aren't they wonderful! Eleanor found that metal bird at a thrift store. I think it was supposed to be a planter. She added a wool pillow, and those lovely hand embroidered wool feathers. Notice the scissor tale feathers. 

     Mary Beth is a wonderful potter and felt artist. She made that puppy out of clay, and added a needle felted wool ball to the back. The puppy reminds me of Gidget from The Secret Life of Pets. 

     I will cherish them both!

     That is what I have been up to. I hope things are going well with all of your projects. Thanks for stopping by!

I am linking with Moving it Forward Monday
                          Design Wall Monday 
                          Monday Making
                          Oh Scrap! 
                          Main Crush Monday 

Check them out to see loads of other inspiring Projects! 


10 comments:

  1. Sonja’s Windows is gorgeous! Those colors and fabrics really sing. Your pincushions are wonderful, too. What wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramona, I really enjoyed making the Sonja's Windows quilt, especially playing with the colors. How dirty, bright, pastel, or dark could I go and have it still work. My friends are the BEST, and I will cherish those pincushions. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Your Sonja's Windows quilt is fabulous! I enjoyed looking at all the different prints - it's like an 'I spy' quilt of sorts. :) Those striped sashing's are so perfect for the blocks! Thanks for sharing on Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. It was really fun to add all of that variety. I was trying to draw this quilt on EQ, and not being particularly tech savvy, I couldn't figure out how to make the stripes to change directions on the drawing the way I wanted them to, so I had to resort to using 2 different stripes. Then I decided, I liked having the horizontal sashing being different from the vertical. I appreciate you taking the time to comment, and thank you for hosting Main Crush Monday!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Your quilts are super, especially your Red Sonja's Windows. I am really drawn to that one. Your friends are truly talented and generous. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment Susie. My friends are the best!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your Sonja's Windows quilt is just stunning. I can imagine it wasn't fun to let go of all that work you'd already done, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura. It was a bit difficult to make that decision, but now that it's behind me, it feels like I did the right thing. Besides, now I have a stack of blocks I can use for another project.

      Delete
  5. Your Sonjas quilt is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete