Sunday, February 24, 2013

Busy Week

    It has been such a busy week, that I am trying to decide if I should put it all in one post, or break it into a couple of posts.

     On Monday of this week, I spoke at the lunchtime program at our quilt show at Art Station in Stone Mountain Village.  I had been debating how much of my audience would be quilters, and how much would be nonquilters. Since it was at an Art Gallery, I decided to gear my remarks mostly, to nonquilters. Wrong answer! I got up in front of about 40 people, and asked if there were any quilters in the audience. All but 3 people raised their hand. I immediately decided to dispense with the rotary cutting demonstration I had been planning. Thank God I had a trunk show planned. I just spoke about each quilt in more depth than I had originally planned. Fortunately, they did seem to enjoy it, and I even sold a pattern.

     Friday afternoon, I demonstrated at the show, and taught the second half of a class at A Scarlet Thread in the evening. It was great to see the work that the students got done during the week. Everyone had a fun time with this quilt; which is pictured in my most recent blog post. I took photos of what they had so far with my phone. I am a bit spotty with using this phone for a camera. 2 of the photos turned out fine, but the third was terribly blurry. I am so sorry Sherry, that I didn't get a better photo of your beautiful quilt.
 


      Barb use beautiful, bold colors. She is planning to use the blue fabric is all of the centers.





















     Lyn chose a gorgeous Asian fabric, and got tons of fabulous variety.


















     Unfortunately, my hand must have moved when I took the photo of Sherry's quilt. It was delicate and whimsical. I know I have a tendency to do this, and I usually try to remember to take a couple of shots of each thing, but on this occasion my battery was about to die any minute. I was so disappointed when I saw this photo.














     I will be teaching at A Scarlet Thread again on March 23. I will be teaching my Let's Polka pattern.



     Then, I demonstrated again Saturday afternoon, and evening at Art Station.

     In between I got all of the strips that I needed cut, and made practice blocks for a quilt I wanted to start. I don't have a name for it yet, but it uses the same technique as my Sonja's Windows pattern. I have wanted to do something else with that technique for a long time now. Here is my drawing:

    
     I made a set of test blocks in every color combination needed. I was trying to see how far I could push the boundaries of color variation. I think more variation makes he quilt more lively and interesting, but I don't want to cross the line into confusion, and being unable to see the pattern clearly. I think I am doing OK so far. Do you agree?

      One thing I like about working with this technique is that it goes very fast. Dare I say that I will have this quilt put together in no time?!

     So that it what I have been up to. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment