Saturday, February 16, 2013

New Projects

     Whew this week went by fast!

     Have you ever had this experience? You have a plan for what you want to accomplish, then all of a sudden, some other project comes to the forefront and just demands attention. You can't get it out of your head-you just have to start it right now! That is what happened to me this week. I was planning to work on a couple of quilt backs, finish my solid quilt, and continue working on my pieced hexagons. Then I suddenly just HAD to start this other quilt. I think part of the problem was I was thinking that right now I don't really have a good project for chain piecing, and I don't have a project that lends itself well to portability, and carrying to the houses of friends. The solid quilt used to be good for that, but it is past that stage.

     So, I spent most of my sewing time this week cutting and sorting strips.


     I went through all of the strips I sorted last year, and pulled out ones I thought would be the colors that I needed. Then in the middle of this process I realized that I was pulling together colors that I wanted to use for another quilt, so I thought I should cut some strips for both quilts, since the other quilt needs the some of the same colors, but different size strips.


     I took this photo early last year. These units all went into the Missing Monkeys quilt that I recently finished. When I had all of these on the design wall, I thought I would like to make a quilt where these Economy Patch units played a more important role. When I played with it a bit on EQ, I used blues and greens. I want the blocks to be just a bit larger though.






     Here is my test block. I don't yet have a test block to show you my other idea. That will have to wait a few more days.
     

















      Also this week, I took a class from Flavin Glover on Innovative Court House Steps. I had always wanted to make a Court House Step quilt using solid fabrics, Here are a few blocks I got done in class. I don't know when I will start working on this quilt in earnest; there are a few ahead of it.

     I also taught a class at A Scarlet Thread this week. It is a 2 session class, and we had the 1st session Friday night. This is the quilt we are working on. It is so much fun to see all the variations that students bring to an idea. I can't wait to see what they bring to class next Friday!


    
     I am doing a lunchtime program at my guild's quilt show at Art Station in Stone Mountain, this Monday, so I have been gathering quilts, and other items to show for that today.

     I still have a couple of other colors of strips to cut, so back to the cutting table I go!
Hope your week went well. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment