Thursday, November 15, 2012

Galapagos

     I started a new project today. I have been meaning to start this quilt for a long time. A few years ago, I made this quilt.

      I named it Galapagos. Then I made a pattern from it. I sold the quilt at a show, but then I didn't have a sample anymore. I have always wanted to replace it. This was a queen size quilt, and I thought it would be nice to make the new quilt is a completely different colorway. Since people often tell me they like my quilts, but they don't want to make something so large; I thought it would be a nice idea to make one of the other sizes on my pattern. So I am making this one a lap size.  Also, there was some interest from Angela, at A Scarlet Thread, in my teaching this as a class there if I made another sample.





     So, I bought this gradation of fabrics.        














      I made myself a cheat sheet. I find that this helps me to remember what order I decided to put the fabrics in, especially, since I wash my fabrics; and the paper tags i pinned to each fabric to signify their order, would never have held up in the washer and dryer.

     The center of this quilt is made from diagonal rows of plain blocks that alternate with pinwheels that are made from the fabrics of the plain blocks on either side. Oooh, I don't really like that last sentence much, but I can't think of another way to say it; so hopefully, the photograph of the quilt will do the talking for me here.

     I have cut out all of my plain blocks and put them on my design wall. I wanted to see if this would help me decide if I like the gradation. So far, so good.




     I had to take this picture at a funny angle since my loom is in front of my design wall for now.

     All of the squares for the HST that will go into making the pinwheels are also cut out, and I am currently working on marking them. I am counting on this quilt to go together relatively fast.

     By the way, yes, I am still working on my solid quilt. I got all of the units sewn. I will show you a picture of those once I get them pressed nice and pretty.

     I have also sorted fabrics and ordered a few colors to use for the pillows my customer ordered for her living room.

       That is what I have been up to lately. Thanks for stopping by.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment