Sunday, October 18, 2015

Trying Something New, and Some Cooking Too

     A couple of years ago I made this quilt:


     Then I made a pattern from it. I have been teaching this as a class, and folks really seem to enjoy it. I loved it because most of the quilts I make take many months to make. but I was able to piece this one in under 2 weeks. When I was writing the pattern, my friend, and long arm quilter, Regina Carter, suggested a more efficient way of putting it together. I decided to make another quilt to try out her ideas. Then I thought, why make an identical quilt? Why not do something totally different with the colors? So I made this version:


     I have been curious to see what it would be like to make a quilt out of several smaller blocks instead of one quilt size motif. I wanted to give my students another way to use this motif. So, I tried it. 
 

      The blue, and green ones are the left are blocks in progress. I started working on 2 at a time, so I could chain piece them on the machine. I will always cut the block off the back of the chain, and add to it next.

      
      Did you notice the difference in the black and white print in the new blue and green blocks versus the red block? I decided that I didn't have enough of that fabric to make the entire quilt, so I had better start working something else in now. Here are the two stripes together side by side.



      Not sure how I will use the 2 prints. Maybe all of the red and purple blocks will be one stripe, and all of the blue, and green blocks will be the other color.

      I have now cut strip sets in every color.





       I now have a whole box of them that are ready to go anytime. When I go sew at a friends house, I can just take this box with me. I can grab it and go anywhere I can bring a sewing machine, and iron.


     I pull out a strip set, and arrange the strips in the order I think they should go.




     I have also been cooking this weekend. I made some sausage, potato, and spinach soup.


    How lucky was I to find asparagus this thin! I couldn't pass it by!



     And here is my latest yard sale find. We had a big group one in my town this weekend. All kinds of goodies.

      
     Cute huh!

     So that is what I have been up too. I plan to link to Patchwork times tomorrow. You won't want to miss seeing all the Design Wall Monday fun going on there! http://www.patchworktimes.com/2015/10/19/design-wall-monday-october-19-2015/

     Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment