Monday, January 14, 2013

Design Wall Monday

     Oh my! Monday again already?! This Design Wall Monday thing is good for keeping me on task. Time just gets away from me.

     I guess I had a tolerable excuse this week since I was helping to hang my quilt guild's quilt show. Then we had our opening reception Saturday night. The show will be up until March 2, so check it out if you are in the Stone Mountain GA area. We are in Art Station. Here is a link you can look at for more information: http://www.artstation.org/ There are also 2 other art exhibits in the same building, plus  other galleries close by, not to mention fun places to eat. There is also a theater. There will be 2 different plays happening during the course of our show. We are going to speak at their February 18th lunch time program, and I plan to have guild members there doing demonstrations in tandem with the plays.

   But nevertheless...I did get some sewing done. I finished the quilt top I had on my design wall last week. It is very unusual for me to get a entire quilt top done in a week; but here it is:
 

     It no doubt helped that it was a lap quilt.

     Then, I pressed all of the stack-n-whack blocks I have using for leaders and enders for the last year. I tried them up on the design wall. 

      
     I do like the individual blocks; but they just don't look like anything all together like this. So, I tried separating them. Also, I took this photo at night, and it looks a bit yellow.



     I like this much better with light, negative space around them. I was thinking of maybe 2 different light batiks, or small prints alternating, with maybe some sashing-maybe not. I also thought about auditioning some dark red or dark khaki with it-but I don't know. I do think it helps to have something light around the blocks.

     Next problem-the other set of blocks. When I cut these, I was disappointed that so many of the blocks didn't have very many different colors on them. But, I still think I can get them to do something bold and fun. I haven't ruled out adding blocks from another bold print the way it did in this quilt.












     I do like the movement in these blocks. I am sure I will think of something to do with them, eventually.
    
     It looks like I have got some playing to do. Fortunately, I have a quilt retreat to look forward to in a couple of weeks.

     My giveaway last week was won by annieo. She chose to receive my Indian Summer pattern, so I will be getting that out to her today. Thanks to everyone who tried. 

     Don't forget to check out all of the other interesting things happening on other design walls at: patchworktimes.com

     Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I like all of your works-in-progress. In your previous post you suggested that you'd be willing to teach the spiral quilt....how about creating a tutorial for it? (That would save me from having to stare at the photo to figure it out on my own!....speaking for myself, but most likely for other quiltmakers, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Love your colors, and really, you did get a lot done! Congrats. btw, I came via Judy's Design Wall Monday link. Look forward to more posts from you in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you consider writing a tutorial for the "square spiral" quilt? It's very eyecatching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've been busy with a quilt show, I'm impressed with the sewing you got in. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete