Monday, February 11, 2013

Design Wall Monday

     Good morning everyone. It has been a pretty good week here. I got the back done for  Missing Monkeys quilt. It is 96" by 110" so it is too unwieldy to take a photo of inside, and it is wet outside, so you will have to wait or it to come back from Regina to see it. I will do real "quilt portraits" then. I have to admit, once I get these monsters pressed and folded neatly, I hate to unfold them. I did meet with her to discuss quilting patterns and thread colors for my finished quilts, which is always fun. She always has such great suggestions. I always think they look so much more "real" after they are quilted.

     What is on my design wall now? I have been working on 2 things. I am using them for leaders and enders for each other.

     I have all of my solid blocks completed; and all of the setting triangles sewn to the "on point" blocks. I still have to sew strips to most of the straight set blocks. Will I get this quilt sewn together this week? It's possible. After all, there are only 12 (huge) blocks.





      


     I also got 2 hexagons made! I am excited about this, because my goal was one per week, so I am off to a better than expected start. God bless long. dark winter evenings, Netflix, and Quilt Cam with Bonnie Hunter.


     To make these, I sew the triangles together in rows. Then I sew the rows together; but I DO NOT sew the center seam.

     It is nice that these are symmetrical. I just sew on one side at a time. That way, when I get confused about the order of the triangles, I just used the other side as a guide, and then I can figure it out much faster.




    Eventually, I plan to sew them together in straight rows; just like I would assemble a One Block Wonder-with no "Y" seams.

       So, that is what I have been doing this week. Now I am going to go to patchworktimes.com to check out what others have posted on Design Wall Monday. It is always interesting! Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Everything is beautiful and looks hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness!! Those hexagons are fantastic!! I want to do one now! I love the way you are putting them together without Y seams. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hexagon quilt. I have a bunch of equilateral triangles cut and haven't decided what they should be yet.

    ReplyDelete