Friday, October 12, 2012

Pot Holders, Blue Ridge

      I have been getting ready for another show this week. This weekend's show is in Blue Ridge GA.

     It occurred to me that I really didn't explain The details of how I was making the pot holders. I cut squares of batting from trimming quilts as they come back from the quilter. I used spray baste to stick 2 layers of batting to a square of the silver fabric you use for ironing board covers. I'm sure that stuff has a name; I just don' know what it is. I wanted to use 2 layers of batting to provide additional protection from heat. I put 1 scrap of fabric wrong side down, and the next piece right side down, and stitch through all of the layers, using a walking foot. Then press over. repeat until you fill up the space. It is so much fun just playing with scraps; and inexpensive too. I just love getting the quilting and piecing done at the same time! It feels like I am taking a short cut. 


     Here is a photo of the latest batch. They have the binding machine sewn on, but are awaiting the hand stitched side. I got 15 pairs pieced in the last 2 weeks.

     Now I am in my hotel room in Blue Ridge. I drove here this morning, and set up my booth this afternoon. When I finish this post, I will get to hand stitching those bindings. It will also give me something to do while I am in my booth tomorrow. I always think people feel more at ease if you are doing something in your booth, rather than just sitting there watching them look at your work; and it  gives them a chance to see some part of your process, as well as provides an opportunity to strike up a conversation. It will be interesting to see what kind of response I get from these.

     Next week, my Let's Polka quilt and pillows will be coming back from Regina, so it will be time to get those finished and delivered. Let's see if I can get the whole set done by the end of the week!

     Hope you guys are working on some fun projects too! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment